That’s the motto of the Boy Scouts. (And the Girl Scouts.)
“Be prepared for what?” someone once asked Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting.
“Why, for any old thing!” said Baden-Powell.
And that’s what I help you and your family do in my Virginia estates, trusts, and wealth preservation law practice.
– Whether estate and gift taxes go up, go down, or even go away someday, with proper estate planning you’ll be prepared to minimize them.
– Whether your daughter marries a prince of a man, or a layabout no-goodnik who looks at you with dollar signs in his eyes, with proper estate planning you’ll have confidence that your money will stay in your family.
– Whether your child or grandchild (or even you) gets sued in court over a traffic accident, and loses – or wins- or ever faces foreclosure, or has to file for bankruptcy protection – or not – trusts that I design for you can help keep predators at bay.
– Whether your grandchildren (or even later generations) go to the University of Virginia on a scholarship, need student loans to help pay for Washington & Lee, or get a free ride at the U.S. Naval Academy – or decide they’d rather learn Web programming at a community college – I can fine-tune your revocable living trust, life insurance trust, IRA trust, gift trust, or wealth preservation trust to provide them with help.
– Whether your retirement plan encompasses IRAs, 401(K)s, 403(B)s, life insurance, annuities, the federal Thrift Savings Plan, or gold coins and Oriental rugs, I’ll help you make sure that any assets in your plan that you don’t spend yourself get transferred to the right people, at the right time, in a tax-efficient way.
– Whether you become disabled, or live in robust health past your 100th birthday, your family and friends will know and be able to carry out your desires about medical care if you ever can’t make the decisions yourself.
– Whether you’d like to make substantial (and tax-saving) donations to charities, churches, or to your alma mater, or establish a private foundation, or whether you’d just like to keep your money in your family, I can guide you down the right path.
If you live in Northern Virginia, call me right now at 703-276-0114, or send me a note by using the form in the sidebar or the Contact page, and we can get started right away on getting you and your family prepared for “any old thing.”
But if you’d rather take your time, and do some more research before you call, just browse around my site for a while. There’s a lot of free information here on wills, living trusts, probate (and how to avoid probate), estate and gift taxes, powers of attorney, guardianship, and all sorts of related things.
And when you’re ready to get started, I’ll be glad to help you.